<E28> Fuel economy puzzle continues ...

Folks, the saga of my '85 535i's crave for gasoline continues.

Here's the latest.

Being the cold start injector is SO hard to get to, I cut the fuel
hose to it.  On the end of the fuel rail, I capped it.  Fuel is cut
off to the injector.  On the end of the cold start injector, I capped
the hose so air wouldn't get sucked in.

I run a tankful of gas, and the fuel economy is greatly improved!
YES - we've corrected the problem!

No - "the game isn't over and the fat lady hasn't sung".

On the next 2 tanks of gas, the fuel economy is poor once again.
It's like the car WANTS to run rich!   What gives?
Would this be a function (or malfunction) of the ECU?  Or, some input
to it?

This is just baffling.

...Kim Hensley
Danville, VA