Re: ignition lock replacement

How did the dealer cut a key for a 12 year old car and no key to match?
The fact that it doesn't work in the doors is worrisome.  I'd try to get
the lock cylinder off, salvage what's left of the key, and see if a
locksmith can make a copy. That way everything will match.  Non-specific
BMW stuff follows -- For security reasons removal of the lock cylinder
usually requires the key to be in the run position. Then there's a
springloaded pin you can push in and pull the cylinder out. Never done it
on a bimmer though.  Any locksmith can usually key the ignition to match
the doors and vice versa. I'd give one a call, explain your situation, and
see how much $$ they want to get you out of this pickle.