Smoke in engine compartment

(This is cross-posted, for those who recieve both digests.)

Well, after driving my E30  for the first time in a while (she's been down
due to bad alternator, SI, battery, valve adj), everything seemed fine, other
than the low idle (~550 or so).  I think maybe I adjusted the valves a little
too tight because the exhaust doesn't seem to come out in a continous flow.
But I drove it around after warming it up (had to take off 6" snow) and
everything seemed fine.  I left it running, ran in the house for a minute,
and then, when looking at it, noticed smoke coming out of the hood.  I
immediately killed the ignition and popped the hood.  The smoke was coming
from right up against the firewall, pretty much centered, by the intake
manifold, but I couldn't see the source.  My brother thought that it smelled
like antifreeze.   We pushed the car into the parking space, but this time I
really don't have any idea, but I think it can't be good.  Any advice would
be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cam
87 325 (e)