Re: 1984 318I starting problem?

Herman,

I had a similar problem with my '85 E30 318i.  It turned out to be a bad
fuel pump relay.  It is located under the hood on the driver's side fender.
Mine was clustered with two other relays, and they were all covered by one
common black cover.

When you turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position, you should
hear a brief (~1 second) buzz as the fuel pump activates and pumps up the
fuel line.  If you don't hear this, it could be the sign of a bad fuel pump
relay.  You can use a jumper wire to bypass the relay.  If the fuel pump
turns on, it means that the relay is probably bad.

For troubleshooting instructions, refer to the excellent Bentley manual for
the E30.  Don't probe around with wires unless you have the correct info!

I replaced the relay, and my problem went away.  Later, a technician from a
local shop described what usually fails in the relay: there is a small
circuit board inside the relay, and some of the solder joints for the relay
coil broke away from this circuit board from the repeated rocking of the
relay as it turns on and off.  I removed the cover to verify and yes, it was
that problem.  If I had removed the cover carefully (without damaging it), I
could have used a soldering iron to repair the damaged solder joints, and my
repair would have been free!  The cost of a new relay was in the $50 range,
if I remember correctly.

Good luck,

Ron Buchalski