E30 Power Steering Fluid

I have recently decided to change the power steering fluid in my 89'
318i and noticed it was very dark coloured and contained a lot of
what appeared to be a grey sludge. I performed the change by
syringing out the old fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with new
ATF then moving front wheels back and forth to remove any trapped
air. My questions are: Why is the fluid still grey? What is the
contaminant?
Is there anotherm (more effective) way of "purging the system of old
fluid?
The steering is OK, albeit a little heavy for PS. My first Beamer so I
am ignorant to the standard of assistance given by these PS units.
Any advice appreciated.
Gary Asmussen
AUSTRALIA