Re: '95 325i: What kind of service do I need to get done if ...

In round numbers, a BMW needs an oil change every 10,000 miles, an
Inspection 1 at 10K, 50K, 90K... and an Inspection 2 at 30K, 70K, 110K...
The pattern is an inspection every other oil change alternating between
Inspection 1 and Inspection 2.  Your car seems a little ahead of schedule
having an Inspection 1 at 42K.  All you need now is an oil change and the
service light reset.  The next time the lights extinguish, you will need an
Inspection 1, then an oil change, then an Inspection 2...

Its in the manual.

Gary Derian <gderian@domain.elided>

> Hi all,
> I'm new to this newsgroup and was wondering if you could help me with
> some questions that I have about my '95 325i.  I bought this car in April
'99
> with 45K on it, under the BMW pre-owned certification program.
> The car currently has 52K miles on it and the service indicator in the
> car is displaying an "Oil-service" message.  All the green lights in the
> indicator are off and only the yellow and red ones are on along with the
> "Oil-service" message.  When I called a local dealer in Fremont, CA, I was
> told that I would need an Inspection 1 which will cost approx $500.
> I am bit confused as to whether the car is really due for this
service/inspec.
> since the "Inspection" light in the car is not really on.  What should I
do?
> As far as I know (from the dealer service records) this car went through
> a BMW used car inspection (including oil/filter change, coolant & brake
flush
> etc.) in April '99, and a Inspection #2 service by the previous owner in
> Oct' 98 at 42K miles.  Given all of this info, what service do I need to
get
> done now.
> For future reference, how does one know when to take the car for
> an oil change or an inspection of some sort?  Should one just go with what
the
> indicator in the car says?
>
> Also, the lights illuminating the fan and temperature knobs on the dash
are not
> working.  Is this something that I should be able to fix on my own, or do
you
> suggest that I have the dealer look at it?  How much would it cost?
>
> Thanks very much for your help!
>
> Manish

End of bmw-digest V9 #1342