Re: <E30> Suspension?

Jason Bover <flammingtwat@domain.elided> writes:

>I recently bought my second BMW. A buetifully maintained 87' 325is. The
>suspension feels softer then I expected though. What Does the stock
>suspeneion consist of?  I was told it was the m3 suspension but i find that
>hard to beleive.

 The stock IS springs are somewhat soft and floaty in brisk driving.  The
M3 springs are noticeably stiffer/firmer and are not as floaty.  They'd
lower your car about 1/2" to 3/4" beyond the stock IS springs.  I ran
M3 springs on my 89is for a few months and they were a big
improvement over the stocker IS springs.

>What is the difference between the I ans IS?

Same drivetrain,  but the IS has niceties like LSD differential, bolstered
sport seats,  stiffer springs and shocks among other things.

>What would you
>reconmend be the first thing I do to tighten my suspension and improve my
>handling? I was thinking H&R and Bilsteins, but that is expensive. What
>about replacing the stock suspension? Any help you get offer me would be
>appreciated. Thank you.  Jason
>87' 325is
>99' 528i

 I'd replace all the suspension bushings and the control arms if they
have a lot of miles on them.  Then i'd select from the large assortment
of aftermarket springs and shocks.   You can go from mild to wild so
you'll have to decide how stiff of a car you can live with before selecting
a suspension setup.  I'm currently running H&R Sports and they feel a
little too soft (at higher speeds and especially on the autocross course).
A good set of tires will do wonders for the handling too :-)

 Randy Walters
 89 325is
 L.A. Chapter