One E28 and two E32 questions

First the E28:
I have an 84 533i that was in the shop for a week a few weeks ago cuz it
wouldn't start and I couldn't find the problem.  5 days of checking stuff
revealed that the coil and the 2 flywheel sensors had gone south.  Replaced.

Okay, now the problem.  Ever since then, the idle is screwed up.  When cold
(and it is in the 20s in the morning here) the idle is at about 750 rpm.
When warmed up, it idles at about 1000-1100 rpm.  This seems a little
backwards to what I remember from before the service (sarcastically).  Is is
possible that the cold start 'system' was tested and somehow reassembled
'backwards'?  I know this sounds stupid, but what should I check?

Second and third questions:
1994 740i.  Driving along, a big 'thunk' sound from the drivetrain and the
following message on the dash: 'TRANS PROGRAM'.  The manual says the
transmission sensor (or is it a relay?) has failed, see dealer for service.
Hmmmmmm.  Park the car and shut it down for a few minutes, start it up and
it runs fine, maybe for a day, maybe a week, then another 'thunk' and the
same warning.

I call my handy-dandy parts supplier and he tells me that the list price for
this relay is $1100!!!! And that he can get it to me for about $450.  Is
this truly the case?  A simple relay costs that much?  And can someone tell
me where it is, and if it is just an
unplug-th-old-one-and-plug-in-the-new-one sort of fix?  The parts guy
couldn't remember if it was under the back seat or in the engine compartment
somewhere.

Same car, second question:
While getting the idle control valve replaced yesterday, the mechanic tells
my wife that the Air Flow Sensor needs replacing.  Hos does one know that
this is bad and how difficult a job is it to replace.  Another $300 part
from my supplier...

OT: Anyone get the new Bentley manual for the 740s?  Wondered if it was
worth $120.

Thank you,
Mike
84 533i