<E28M5>misc questions

Greetings list.  I am a new lister but used to be on the list a couple years
back when I had a 1987 535is.  After that I got a 1982 911SC Targa and sold
it recently because it was too impractical for a daily driver auto.  I
finally got the car I have wanted since I was 16, a 1988 ///M5.  It is in
fabulous shape, only 66k miles, engine is surgically clean, dinan chip and
exhaust cam sprocket, interior almost perfect, all records...even the
original window sticker, OH, and gotta love that trunk....hilarious.  My
condolences to the many cows that graciously gave their lives.  I'm sure
they would be happy to see their skins were finely hand crafted by der
Motorsport division.

Question 1: Since I *think* I can do electrical work, I put in a cellular
phone.  Well, I did a stupid, stupid thing.  (You are a stupid, stupid man
<from Cheech and Chong>)  I ran the constant 12v to the power seat buttons.
I read 12 on the multimeter but when I grounded the phone I hear relays
clicking under the seat.  CRAP.  The seat no longer works.  Using a small
square bit and drill on the forward/reverse motor, I managed to move the
seat back manually.  I then pulled the plastic sleeve that covers the relay
unit.  The unit was almost impossible to get out of the car (I couldn't get
the seat out of the car since it does not function) and two of the wires are
not unhookable (nice word uh)...er, didn't go to a prom connector.  I cut
those...I'll just crimp em together with male/female butt connectors.  Well,
I started testing the circuit and that bad boy has a ton of relays in it...I
think 7 or 8.  Diodes are testing fine..so are resistors.  It has to be the
relays.  Where in the world can I get one of these units?  I'm certainly not
gettin a new seat because of some relay problem.  Anyone have suggestions?
I know....go ahead, laugh at me.....but hey, the phone works now:-)  Nobody
shows this part for sale.

Question 2: On the tach, right after redline, there is a little tiny hole in
the guage face.  Inside that hole, if you squint, you can see a '13'.  What
in the world is this????  Why do I care?  I don't know...but hell, why not
ask.

Question 3: I smell gas.  When you start the car, an odor of gas appears.
It will dissappear after a while, but is apparent at first.  NO, this is not
the fuel tank lines near the tank filler neck (BTDT the second day of
ownership).  No, there are no drips.  This odor is protruding from the
engine compartment.  Yes, it scares the crap out of me......if that nice
clean low mileage engine were to burst into flames...well, I don't know what
I'd do.  I'm just wondering if the ///M5 engine does this.  I was actually
wondering where all that gasoline was going...boy does this puppy drink
gas!!!!

Question 4: Which buffoon thought up the rear leveling suspension?  I'm not
sure if mine is working or not...but it does not leak like it supposed to:-)
It's just the car sits unlevel.  The passenger side is lower.  When I turn
the key to the final position before it starts, and stand on the bumper,
there is no noise eminating from the spare tire compartment.  I even pulled
the tire and the plastic shroud and saw the pump and all that jazz...no
noises when one...or even two stand on the rear bumper.  Does it only run
with the car ON?  There is a relay in there somewhere...is that known to
fail?  I just love buying relays to replace working relays.

Question 5:  Short shifter, who's got the best, are they worth the big
price, who's got a used one to sell?

Question 6:  Here's a silly one.  The little up/down/seek/search knob on my
OE radio is missing.  Anybody got one laying around?  Didn't think so

Question 7: Bra.  Doesn't anyone make one for the E28 body?

Digest, thanks in advance for reading this winded post.  I look forward to
BMW talk.

Alex Cagann
1988///M5