'82 528e cold start valve question

Folks,
I have a simple question.  A contact has notified me that the cold start
valve on the '82 and later 528e cars operates until a certain
temperature is reached.  Is this true?  I was under the impression that
this valve is controlled by the the thermo-time switch, and operates for
approximately 8 seconds after start-up.  He suggested this because the
car knocks and alternately surges and hesitates during the first load
placed on the engine (particularly when starting out going uphill), but
performs fine at normal operating temperature.

Thanks for the responses.

Tim

- --
To reply to me, please remove __DIE_SPAMMERS__ from my reply-to address.