Re: Diagnosis on E28 engine cutting out

In a message dated 12/19/99 12:16:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< The First miss: imagine the ignition or current cutting out for 1/10
 of a second while, gives the car a real jolt; a cut, then back on, sort
 of like a hiccup.  It happens randomly about once every helf hour.  If
 it does it while you're accelerating in first or second, it can chirp
 the tires it's so bad!  Makes you cuss. >>

I had a similar problem with an 533i. Going down the highway, then nothing
for a few seconds. It would run OK for a while and repeat the process. When
it got regular enough, I took it to the dealer who spent a couple of hours
cleaning contacts and checking for corrosion. Didn't find anything but the
problem stopped.
Some months later the car went dead 50 ft out the driveway. Dealer found a
failed primary (pressure) fuel pump. Might try that. It's accessible from
under the car.
Fred Callender RM.