Water pump gasket protection all BMW's

Gentlemen
  To protect the water pump gasket from damage during installation, I glue
the gasket to the water pump with a very "tight" sealant (i.e. Permatex
Aviation sealant).  This stuff is impossible to clean-up, so I only use it
on the water pump side of the gasket.
  I use an easy to clean-up sealant like RTV silicon silastic on the engine
side of the gasket.  Doing this, the gasket will stay with the pump on
removal, and the motor surface will clean-up nicely.
  I immediately place the all the bolts thru the pump and the holes in the
gasket and hold the pump parrallel to the face of the motor inching forward
carefully until I can start all of the extended bolts three turns before
allowing the gasket to touch the motor.
  I've never had a gasket tear using this method.

 Dan Patzer the CyberWrench from BIMMERS ONLY
72' tii touring   K1200LT   85' 732i   R850R
http://www.nwlink.com/~bmrfamly/   425-259-3601
 O.E.M. parts, Independant service since 1967
 12724  Marine Drive,  Marysville, Wa. 98271