<E30> Overhead interior light delay

I have owned my 87 325is for 9 years and it has never had any kind of
"delay" feature whereby the lights come on when you bump the handle or stay
on for a few seconds after you get in then slowy go off.  I bought an 86
325e beater and it seems to have this feature "most of the time".

Here is the funny thing though...on the 325is, I can turn on the lights
manually with the 3 position switch at the light.  On the "e" car, the
switches seem to be 2 position,  and they will not turn on the lights
manually.

Questions:

On the "e" car...How do you tutn on the interior lights manually?

On the "i" car...should it have the "delay/handle" feature? If so, where are
the compnents I should troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Ron Milliet
Petal, MS