E39 CD Changer and Sound System Questions

Okay, so we seem pretty much agreed that BMW has difficulty supplying an OEM
sound system that sounds any good. On one hand you just figure it must not
be much of a priority for them, then you take a look at the tremendous
amount of cost and engineering to integrate the system seemlessly into the
dash and  multi-information displays, not to mention the controls on the
steering wheel, and it just doesn't make sense... I can't imagine BMW saying
we don't care what it sounds like as long as it looks good. I mean I didn't
realize you need 10 speakers to make it sound this bad! Sorry, enough
ranting.

One gentlemen who took the time to respond said he discovered that the
problem in his car was not the speakers, but the head unit. For him,
replacing the speakers didn't help, but replacing the head unit did. For my
sake I hope he's wrong, since in an E39, switching speakers is an option,
switching head units simply isn't possible. Does anyone else have any
experience trying to improve the mediocre (that's being generous) sound in
an E39 by replacing the speakers? And I'm still looking for an opinion on
the Nakamichi 6-disk changer designed to fit (more or less) in the glove
box. Is it inconvenient,  does it take up too much room, etc.? Maybe I'll
just have to appreciate the music coming from under the hood a little
more... now that's high fidelity!

Regards,

John Gray
'91 318is