E39 CD Changers and Sound System Questions

Opinions please on the Nakamichi CD Changer intended to be mounted in the
glove box. The glove box in my recently acquired '97 528i is small to begin
with and somewhat awkwardly low, but I like the concept of having easy
access to the changer. Two questions: 1, does its size render the glove box
virtually useless, and 2,  because of the location is it difficult to use?
On a related note, is it me or does the the standard non-premium sound
system leave a LOT to be desired? Are the speakers the main culprit? Is it
worth it/possible/cost prohibitive to retrofit the premium system?
Suggestions?

Regards,

John Gray
97 528i