Re: [Fwd: 100 Ocatane fuel]

I beg to differ, in a car with a modern injection system, the computer will
lean out the mixture with a higher octane fuel when it detects the extra
oxygen of the unburnt fuel..

My Z3 pings on anything less then 92 octane, 11:1 compression, but my Tow
Vehicle, (1990 Caddy) with like 8.5:1 compression gets a siginficant
increase in mileage with higher octane fuels. (about 2-3 MPG)  But this car
with a 5.7 litre V8 and 5500 lbs (9000lbs towing) is a fuel hog and the
increased mileage does not offset the increased cost of the super unleaded.
but there must be more "bang per ounce" if the injection decides to lean out
the mixture, and advance timing using the higher octane fuel.

also the Z3 produces 140hp and 140 ftlbs of torque from 1.9 litres, the
Caddy produces about 180hp from 5.7 litres and about 300 Ftlbs of torque.
Much of this is due to increased compression but per ounce of fuel consumed
the Z3 requiring Super unleaded Creates much more work per gallon of fuel,
moving a 2600 lb car at 40MPG vs. a 5500 LB car @ 13Mpg...

YMMV (really)
Jeff Lloyd