Re: Replace alternator, now check engine light

Steve,

Check the ground wiring and output wiring for the alternator.  My car had a
problem where the battery light would come on, and I suspected a bad
alternator.  Testing by an alternator shop found it to be in perfect
condition.  So, I took it into a shop and they ran some tests. They finally
determined that the output wire (from the output of the alternator to the
battery) had high resistance, and was causing an excessive voltage drop, so
the battery wasn't charging properly.  They also found that the alternator
ground wire (a short wire that connects from the alternator mounting bracket
to the engine block) had very high resistance, so the alternator didn't have
a good voltage reference.  Replacing (actually, running parallel wires to)
these bad wires fixed my problem.

I don't know what the Check Engine light is for.  Is it possible that you
may have loosened a wire connecting to a sensor?

- -rb