E28 Door will not latch

Hi:
Again I go to the wealth of knowledge of fellow digests for suggestions to
odd occurrences!
My '88 535 driver's door will not latch in the more secured position of the
door latch.  I find I need to slam the door over and over again to get the
latch to fully engage.  The locks will not operate if the door isn't secured
in the full second position.  Some times the door will latch on the first
attempt of closing..  Other times I'll have to try over and over again.
This just started yesterday, with no unusual event I am aware of preceding
it.  The latch and catch are both very securely fastened to the door and
body.
Has anyone had this happen?  Possibly the latch is failing?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete Confar