RE: BMW "Ghost"/Idle Control Valve

> I have an 87 325.  It has a very strange habit of on a random
> basis, with no warning, sounding 3 quick beeps.  It is always
> 3 beeps, nothing more, nothing less. Could it be an electrical
> short of some sort? When the beeps happen, no indicating lights
> come on.  The only thing you hear are the 3 quick beeps.  It
> happens on an average of about once every 2 days.

Bob,
I am sorry to break it to you like this, but your car might be possessed.
Either that, or the weather is getting cold with ambient temperatures
dropping below the magic 36F mark when your car is alerting you to watch out
for ice on the over-passes.
On the other hand, you might have your 'news alert' set on the mini-OBC that
beeps 30 seconds before each hour.

> Also, do you recommend purchasing a used idle control valve from a
> junkyard as opposed to a new idle control valve? I was quoted $132
> for a new idle control valve.

$60 price for a used ICV was the chief and only reason I went with a used
one.
You could also take the old one apart, clean it and hope that it comes back
to life. It did not work for me, but a few digesters had reported positive
results with that approach.

alex f