RE: Tire Pressure Gauges

> 	I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I've been using a cheap-o
> pencil type tire pressure gauge for the last few years.  Can't
> remember where I bought it, but I think I paid less than $5 (US) for
> it.  Anyway, I've finally decided to buy something that will be
> considerably more reliable and accurate (without spending a
> fortune).

Dave,
I also use a cheapo pencil gauge that I got at one give away or another.
IMHO, what you really care about are 1). consistency in measurements and a
2). good measurement scale. If you are doing this professionally, you might
also wish for 3). a professionally calibrated tire gauge that is
re-calibrated at regular intervals. Otherwise, consistent and precise
_relative_ tire pressure measurements should keep most of the digest
subscribers happy.

A pencil gauge probably satisfies #1, but with its 1 pound increments is
less then ideal for #2.
A sturdy gauge with a bleeder valve in the hose is also a good thing if you
are adjusting your tire pressure more frequently then once a month. These
middle tier gauges go for around $30 from most mail order places or your
neighborhood race shops.

YMMV, etc
alex f