E34 Possible Electric Problem - flickering lights

Bob wrote:

> They consistently put out plenty of light, but they _never_ "pulsated"
> before and I believe it is getting more severe.  At first, a few weeks ago
> (?) I barely noticed it.  Now it's more apparent.  These things never get
> better, so I thought I better check this out.
>
>          I suspect alternator problems, but the electronics on these BMWs
> are so much more complicated than the cars I worked on as a kid that I'm
> just not sure.

Yup, probably a Valeo alternator needing new brushes and regulator.  How
many miles on yours?  Mine went at 84k.  Get the #'s off the alternator
and give Steve D' a call - around $55 (mine was Valeo 105A - type
2541498 (105/40)).

Install is not hard - I did it without removing the alternator or the
serpentine.  A little cramped but ...  (Hint:  disconnect the battery.)

Best,
Kurt
'92 E34 M50

End of bmw-digest V9 #1296