RE: Timing belt and 2-piece crankshaft hub ('89 325i) More votes please!

> I have a Bentley manual which tells of a "two-piece crankshaft
> hub" on some models. I'm not clear how/if it's possible to tell
> which I have *before* starting to do the job.
>
> This seems a pretty important thing to find out as
> it the hub mounting bolt is done up to 410Nm/302 lb/ft!!!
> If I have one of these I guess I need more than my 1/2 inch
> socket set to undo it.

John,
don't worry, you do not need to remove anything of that nature to change
the
timing belt.

> Looking at the engine I can see the three pullys (which seem to
> be one piece) that the v belts for alternator and power steering
> run in.
> Behind that (towards the block) there's a large toothed wheel -
> for the engine timing sensor. This seems to me to be a separate
> piece from the pullys. I don't know what this "two-piece" means?
> I can't see anything further behind that (where the timing belt
> actually is).

I don't know what the "two-piece crankshaft hub" is either. But
regardless
of its existence, you will not be removing anything requiring more then
~30
lb/ft to put back on.
BTW, one of the belts (I think it was power steering, but do not
remember
exactly) is easier to get off by removing the pulley it is mounted on
(in
this case it would be the pulley on the power steering pump).

> Mention is made od a holding tool BMW 112 150 - can this be made up
> easily or is vital to get from a dealer?

The only weird tool you will need for the timing belt job is a 32mm open
end
wrench to remove the reverse threaded main cooling fan (clockwise to
loosen).

Many thanks to several people who followed up and those who emailed me
directly about this. However the mystery deepens because some replies
assured me I do *Not* have to undo the crankshaft nut while the
rest said I do! Does anyone have a definitive reply to this? One person
said
he had to get a garage to undo it for him! I really don't want to get
to the point of dismantling most of the front end of the engine only to
find there is one single huge bolt I cannot undo - so would really
appreciate more info on this one from the group.

The key maybe in deciding whether or not my 325i has a "two piece
crankshaft hub" or not. (Maybe?) Then I can tell if that
bolt has to be undone.

TIA
- -John