89 535; drive line problems ???

Hi,

I have a 89 535 with ~180K.  The problem that I have with the car is
occasionally there is loud noise (It has gradually gotten worse) emanating
from transmission, drive line area.  Typically the noise can be heard right
after the car sits in traffic and engine heats up.  The noise goes away as
the car speeds up;  I believe because the engine cools down a bit.  It is
related to the car speed not to the engine speed.  The reason for this is I
have placed the tranny (auto!) in neutral when the car was in motion and
revved up the engine.  This did not change the noise.  However speeding up
and/or slowing down will effect the noise.  Note that the noise not there at
all time.  I suspect it is because of worn "donuts".  last weekend I put the
car on jacks and I could not see the drive shaft as it was blocked by the
exhaust system.

Please let me know if you guys have seen a similar problem with yr car. Also
if somebody has changed donuts on this vintage bimmer, I would like to hear
what the symptoms where as well how difficult a task is to replace the
donuts.

Thanks,

David