<e34> rear lighter

The '92 535i that I recently purchased does not have a rear console
"lighter". It appears to have a "red light" & some type of a button on
the cover. Since this is a convenient place to plug in a phone charger,
does anyone know if this model came with a rear lighter? What are the
devices on the current 'plate' for? Can I install a rear lighter or has
some one come up with a cleaver alternative? Would there be any factory
wires for a lighter?

The other thing is, it appears as if this car had a BMW phone on the
front console. A black plastic bracket sits in the normal storage slot.
However, the the top plate, that the phone mounts to, is missing & if I
remove the whole thing, I'm left with what looks like a 'hand cut'
rectangular hole in the back vertical wall of the console, where I
assume the old phone wires came through. I would like to just remove the
phone bracket altogether, but then the hole will show. Has anyone done
this & how or what did you do to cover-up the hole?

Thanks, Richard Vaughn BMW CCA
Tarheel Chapter
'92 535i 5 speed 76k