RE: Timing belt and 2-piece crankshaft hub ('89 325i)

> I have a Bentley manual which tells of a "two-piece crankshaft
> hub" on some models. I'm not clear how/if it's possible to tell
> which I have *before* starting to do the job.
>
> This seems a pretty important thing to find out as
> it the hub mounting bolt is done up to 410Nm/302 lb/ft!!!
> If I have one of these I guess I need more than my 1/2 inch
> socket set to undo it.

John,
don't worry, you do not need to remove anything of that nature to change the
timing belt.

> Looking at the engine I can see the three pullies (which seem to
> be one piece) that the v belts for alternator and power steering
> run in.
> Behind that (towards the block) there's a large toothed wheel -
> for the engine timing sensor. This seems to me to be a separate
> piece from the pullies. I that that what "two-piece" means?
> I can't see anything further behind that (where the timing belt
> actually is).

I don't know what the "two-piece crankshaft hub" is either. But regardless
of its existence, you will not be removing anything requiring more then ~30
lb/ft to put back on.
BTW, one of the belts (I think it was power steering, but do not remember
exactly) is easier to get off by removing the pulley it is mounted on (in
this case it would be the pulley on the power steering pump).

> Mention is made od a holding tool BMW 112 150 - can this be made up
> easily or is vital to get from a dealer?

The only weird tool you will need for the timing belt job is a 32mm open end
wrench to remove the reverse threaded main cooling fan (clockwise to
loosen).

alex f
'89 325i