Re BMW Certified Cars

Cookie@aol said:

>Also, buy a high-grade Service Contract. It may offer the potential of
>valuable legal leverage if the car turns out to be a mechanical lemon (yes,
>there are used car lemons, too). Always be weary of a "same model year" used
>car with under 10K miles. Salespeople will say things like "they wanted a 4
>door instead of 2 door". What the hell does HE know? :-).

I respond: is there some misconnect here?  I don't need a Service Contract
because I bought a Certified Pe-Owned BMW.

I have a signed form from the dealer titled "Certified Pe-Owned BMW Vehicle
Program Vehicle Inspection Checklist".  On it is the statement, and I
quote, "...this vehicle comes with the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection
Plan.  The Protection Plan provides coverage for up to two years or 50,000
miles (whichever comes first) from the date of expiration of the
4-year/50,000 mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.  Twenty-four-hour BMW
roadside assistance is also included for the duration of the Certified
Pre-Owned Protection Plan."

This means that the BMW I purchased has an extended New Vehicle Limited
Warranty good until  September of 2002 or 100,000 miles, whichever comes
first.  If anything major goes wrong with the car between now and Sept
2002, the dealer who sold me the car fixes it.  Period. End of story.

If this ain't the case, I'd sure like to know about it.  I thought _all_
Certified Pe-Owned BMW came with this extended warranty. No???

A question:  what would you think would be a fair price for a 1996 328i,
Boston Green with 22,652 miles on it and with the original new car warranty
extended until September 2002?  The paint has a few tinty dings, but
nothing even remotely serious.  It looks beautiful.  Ditto for the inside.
It has:

Five-speed manual
Power steering
Power door locks