<E36> Are the BMW CD Changer data cords Uni-link?

I'm thinking of replacing my factory cassette head unit in my 1998 318ti
with a Sony minidisc unit.  I don't think (anyone please correct me if
I'm wrong) that I will be able to control my BMW CD changer with the
Sony head unit, so......

Can I replace the BMW CD changer with a Sony unit using the existing
data cord?  I think Sony uses something called a uni-link cord.  If the
existing cord doesnt fit Sony, does anyone know of an adapter.  I'm
trying to avoid having to rerun the wiring to the changer.

Of course an easier option would be a BMW (Alpine?) minidisc head unit,
but I don't think one exists.  Any input on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Frank S.
Charleston, SC