95M3 seat fold lever problem

Wondering if someone can help me with this seat problem?

I have a 95 E36 M3 coupe which has a broken passenger side seat.  This is
the manual sport seat on the coupe that has levers on the side of the seat
back which allow the seat to fold forward to let people into the back
seat.  Well, this lever no longer works... it doesn't disengage the latch
that allows the seat to fold forward.

Looking under the seat I can see that what should happen is a cable should
be pulled which releases a latch to allow the seat to fold.  However this
cable isn't moving, so my guess is that somewhere in the seat back the
cable is broken or is no longer attached to the levers.

The questions are:  Is it possible to get to the guts of the seat back, to
fix this problem?  A new seat is going to be super expensive (over $500),
right?

Thanks in advance!
Edmund Seto
eseto@domain.elided