Air Cond Question

Could anybody offer advice on Air Cond problem with a 89'
318i(E30).
I have replaced the compressor in my 318i as it was found to have
a gas leak and worn shaft bearings. It was quite noisy on start-up.
However, during the conversion/regassing (new receiver/drier and
R134a gas) the system was found to be operating erratically. The
shop diagnosis was a sticky solenoid (expansion?) valve situated
under the dash. Does this sound like an accurate assessment?
Doea anyone have experience with this?...... as I would prefer to get
the system degassed and perform inspection/repair myself. Can
the sticky solenoid be cleaned up or should it be replaced?
Thanks in advance
Gary Asmussen
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
PS When the shop finally got the system going (after two
regassings) the car was taken home and not driven for two weeks.
The air cond has not worked (ie cooling adequately) since. I will not
use it now for fear of damaging or over-heating the compressor.