re: info about 84 318i

Hassan Mkaouri <Hassan_Mkaouri@domain.elided> asked...

> i'm looking to pick up an '84 318i.  i'm wondering if
> someone with experience could tell me some quick notes
> on it.

the early (84-85) 318i is underpowered and underbraked in comparison to
all later E30s. think of it as an E21 320i with an E30 body. the 1.8
liter M10 engine is rated at approximately 100 Hp, and because it's
running bosch L-jetronic (actually LH-jet i think), increasing the
output is quite tough. don't expect to simply add a jimc chip and get
more power, i don't think anyone makes a chip for this car. you'd have
to do a fair amount of work to get the horsepower of the later 318i/is
(m20 engine?).

the front disc brakes are the same size as later E30s, but are not
vented, and the rears are drums. there is no rear sway bar. the 318i
(along with a few of the very early 325e's) uses a smaller front strut
housing than all of the later E30s. this makes it tougher to swap parts
used on other E30s. for example, swapping to 325is front struts would
involve changing out the entire strut-tube/wheel-bearing/brake-carrier
assembly.

m.