Central Locking System Problem '87 325e

The central locking system on my son's '87 325e acts up intermittently.
Some days, all the locks will lock and unlock, then other days the only
lock that works is the one that the key is in.

I can't seem to define the condition to a specific lock.  If I start by
checking each lock, typically it will start working correctly, but there
is no rhyme nor reason as the system may start working as I'm fooling
with any lock.

I never had the first minute's problem with the CLS on my '85, so I have
no experience with this problem.  Is there a trouble shooting process
that can determine if it is a switch problem or is this more fundamental
such as replacing the central unit?

Thanks in Advance.
ritchieb@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #1284