E36 Cold Drivability problems

> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:24:56 -0600
> From: wsiemens@domain.elided (Wendall Siemens)
> Subject: RE: E36 Cold Drivability Problem
>
> Time to compare symptoms:
> I have a 92 325i (no surprise) which might have the same problem. When I
> first start driving and the car is cold, it seems to run fine up until my
> temperature gets near the end of the blue. At this point the car feels
> like
> it has lost power (?) almost as if the engine doesn't want to go and you
> have to feed more gas to get the same result (flat spot?). I'm generally
> running around 2700 rpm when I feel this the most. By the time the
> temperature gets to the end of the blue (5 or 6 blocks) it is gone and
> the
> car accelerates normally. You can actually feel the car accelerate with
> out
> changing the gas pedal position.
>
> My question is: Is this the same ignition coil problem? And if it is, is
> there any way for a DIYer to find which coil is causing the problem?
>
> Wendall

Here is the web page with the motronic fault code information that tells
you how to determine if you coils are the problem. The cost was coils
run about 80.00 each. It is very easy to replace them. In fact its
easier than replacing the spark plugs. You have to remove the ignition
coils to get to the plugs.
Hopes this helps. BTW, I only needed one coil. Some have had to replace
all six.
Good luck and let me know what you determine.
Henry

http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/bmw/motronic.html