533i Oil pan and Driveshaft problems

Hi, guys
I have got two questions:
1. I hit a rock on a road and now there is a little crack (about 1/8-1/4in) on
the bottom of the oil pan. The pan is rather expensive. Would it be possible
somehow to welder it instead of changing for a new one?
2. The U-joint at the rear of the driveshaft is worn out. I ordered a new one
from Eurasian Autoparts. The Bentley book sais, however, that U-joints are non
servicable, and the driveshaft should be replaced as a unit. I believe Bentley,
because the U-joint they've sent to me is kinda hard to insert anywhere. But
before buying the whole driveshaft I want to ask your opinion.
Thanks, Ilia Zharkov.