<ALL> Leather Seat Project Pt 6

We are coming to the end of this project... trust me, I'm getting tired of writing.
The fronts are in; they look great. I turned my attention to the rear seat,
which in my opinion was the worst of all the seats in the car.
One thing I wanted to try and do was cut my prep time. My dining room and
kitchen looked like an industrial zone for over ten days during this project.
Good thing I don't have a wife.. Anyway, I talked to Leatherique. After the
usual disclaimers, they indicated that lacquer thinner (paint-grade, not hobby
store grade) could be used to 'speed up' the removal of the top coat of
lacquer dye - yes, these seats are sprayed with a  lacquer top coat that gives
them a gloss when they leave the factory. They also said you could use paint
stripper, but I'm not that adventurous.
So I tried the thinner. The back seat was really hard in a couple of areas,
and the lacquer was indeed cracking. I originally thought it was the leather
cracking, but in reality it  was the top coat coming apart. Yes there were
some mild cracks in the leather itself, but not nearly as bad as the fronts. I
was heartened, so using the lacquer thinner (OUTSIDE - DO NOT DO THIS INSIDE -
OPEN FLAMES FROM ANYTHING LIKE A WATER HEATER OR FURNACE AND LACQUER THINNER
FUMES DO NO REPEAT DO NOT MIX FIRE EXPLOSION AND DEATH ARE THE RESULT!!!!)
outside on my front porch, I brushed lacquer thinner on the seat, covered it
with plastic wrap and walked away for a while. I did this several times over a
period of a few days. (what's my name again??? What state do I live in..?..)
Try not to breathe the fumes or you will forget where you left your children
on the way to school in the morning. Anyway, the lacquer top-coat did come off
easier. I scraped with my crack filler tool and it oozed off the leather. Some
areas, like between the stitching, were hard to do, and I was resigned to
using my previous technique of sanding and then rubbing with the prep
solution. The center section of the seat (bottom cushion) was the worst. Hard,
dark, brittle.. I was afraid it wasn't going to look ok. It had cracks in the
leather as well.
Once I got as much of the old finish off with the lacquer thinner as I felt
comfortable with ( you don't want to take all of the color off along with the
lacquer; prudence is called for) I used the prep solution and wet sanded the
area until it felt reasonably smooth to the touch. I then cleaned it with the
prestine clean and let it dry overnight. Then, I filled the cracks with the
filler. I would fill a crack, or overcoat an area, let it dry, and lightly wet
sand it. Once I had the middle section about the way I liked it in terms of
touch, I finished vigorously sanding the bolsters on the seat bottom, and the
strips between the stitching, until all of the cracking lacquer was gone. As
the lacquer softens, it 'pills' or clumps under your hand and sandpaper. You
know then that you are close to getting the surface that you want.
Once that was done, I filled with crack filler, and this time I 'skimmed' the
surface lightly, much like you would do with a plaster coat or a (thick)
paint. I let it dry, and then sanded it smooth a number of times. I was
looking for a surface consistency that would eliminate the faint color
mottling that I had experienced on the front seat bottom cushion. Once I had
the desired smoothness, I applied a color coat, starting with just the right
side of the seat bottom cushion, up to the center section, in essence doing it
in sections. I let it dry briefly, 15 minutes or so, and then, using a worn
piece of #320 wet-dry, I 'color-sanded' the panel lightly. I then wiped it
off, let it air dry, and did it again. I did this 5 - 6 times on each section,
adding minute amounts of crack filler (hardly any) as I went to continue smoothing.
The results are impressive. Smooth, supple, shiny, no cracks and nothing to
pull your focus. The middle section is the most impressive.. a smooth expanse
of leather that is soft to the hand. The back seat bottom actually looks
better than the fronts!
Since the seat back cushion was not in bad shape, I made sure it was clean,
and simply gave it 2-3 light coats of the dye. It looks brand new. (I used a
heavier coating on the strip that rests on the rear shelf, and the top of the
seat back, where it always gets the sun). The only problem area was the
cracking and dryness on the top of the center armrest; I used the lacquer
thinner, then prep solution as detailed above, let it dry, and built up the
surface in the same manner as the lower seat cushion. I also re-dyed the
plastic seat belt holders that are part of the seat. It all looks beautiful. I
can't believe how soft and supple everything feels! Like an old Rolls, only better...

Of course, time will tell how this will look over a period of months.  But the
nice thing is I can now clean and condition the leather knowing I am actually
doing it some good, and I can always strip and redye those areas that show
wear. Or areas that I don't like... Hmm.. better get to work on those front
seat bottoms.

I used approximately 36 ounces of Rejuvenator Oil, close to 32 ounces of
Prestine Clean, 24 ounces of the Prep Solution, and about 20 ounces of Dye. So
I have material left over I can use next time if I want.

This concludes The Leather Seat Project. I am very pleased and give this
project a 9+ out of 10 for satisfactory results. This is something that almost
anyone can do. I have a friend who has a 533i, and we are thinking of doing a
color change, from dove gray to black. I'll let you know the end results if
you do anything.

FYI - I have posted this series on the www.bimmer.org website under E28 for
those of you who would like to have it referenced.

And lastly, I have no interest in any car-related ventures, no interest in any
of the products used, and am not a  paid endorser. I purchased everything as a
consumer with my own funds, and got no special help, other than  normal
technical support from Leatherique.

Rick Viehdorfer
'86 535i, alpin weiss with carmine red interior, perfectly restored!

PS I'm going to re-dye spots of my headliner to cover up some faint
discoloration I had mentioned earlier. I'll let you know how that goes as well.