'99 M3 oil

I've got a couple of questions re: my '99 M3.  The
book no longer calls for an oil change at 1000 mi,
which I think is a mistake, so I plan on having that
done at my own expense.  However, the dealer says the
car comes with synthetic oil from the factory.  I've
always heard that you should break in any car with
mineral oil for at least 5,000 mi before going to
synthetic.  Can anyone confirm that the '99's are
actually coming with synthetic from the factory, and I
would appreciate any comments on the break-in theory.
Thanks,
Gary Brauch