Great Exhaust Notes (Dinan, ActiveAutoWerke, M3 stock)

The biggest thing that got me into modding my car was the beautiful sound
that the DINAN S2 car made in the Showroom floor at my local BMW dealer.  I
heard that beautiful music coming from a 3 SERIES and I HAD to get mine to
sound like it.  I have heard many different Exhausts, everything from
"Bumble bee on Crack" to straight pipes.  For me, the Dinan is the most
pleasing sound.  It is not too obnoxious (especially important considering
the snobish community that I live in) but it still gives a great growl under
hard accel.  If you'd like to hear mine, I've got a pretty good recording on
my site...  Also remember that at about 5000 RPM you will start to hear the
effect of the Dinan cold Air intake - which makes a HUGE difference.

The site is at :  www.richterindustries.com/prichter

and click on "Peter's BMW Page"  -  The sound file is about 100k so wait
about a minute or so (depending on your connection speed) and it'll start to
play.

A few other options (certainly some cheaper ones) would be to get a stock M3
exhaust and put it on.  Those run for as little as $300 for a used one and
they sound great...  a LOT THROATIER though, than anything else that I've
heard.  It even sounds VERY Different from a stock M3 with the same exhaust.

Active Autowerke also makes a very good exhaust, more throaty than the
Dinan.  What ever you get, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it's all Stainless
Steel.  And stay away from the TRI-Flo exhausts, I hear they are very, very
loud and probably is what I heard when CHIP E coined the term "Bumble Bee On
Crack".  But try to listen to everything you can - and make sure it's on a
car with the same engine...  Like I said, the M3 and the 325 with the same
M3 exhaust sound quite different.  I would also think that the 328 and 325
sound different too.

BTW: there's a couple of good video clips on my site too - just look around.

- ------