<E30> re: e differential Q's

josh sez
>My differential is deginning to contribute to the background noise at
>highway speeds and when driving around town. About 8 months ago I replaced
>the oil with Redline diff. oil, and the stuff inside looked old. Are there
>any other symptoms of differential problems I should check for?
>If I have to replace the diff. I am interested in a L.S. but only small
>changes to the ratio. Does anyone know the original stock diff. ratio for
>an '86 325e? I haven't been able to find anything like a tag on the
>differential itself to identify it.

'84-'87 325e should have
2.79 ( up to 09/85 )
2.93 (   09/85 + )

the 325 also had a 2.93
the 325i had a 3.73
M3 had 4.10

E28
528e - 2.93
524td - 3.15
535i - 3.25
M5 - 3.91

noise doesn't necessarily mean anything..
(lots of noisy diffs go for 100k+ miles more..)

you could put back bmw fluid and it will probably be quiter

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002