RE: E30 questions

> 3. I tried to reset the the service lights. One green was
> left on at the time of this oil change. Tried to reset twice
> and all I get is the one green light. My assumption is that
> the others are "burnt out?". Give me some suggestions

Richard,
	Check with the BMW FAQ on the proper procedure to reset the SI
lights:
http://cbsgi1.bu.edu/bmw/sil.html

> 4. My temperature gage always reads some where between the 1st & 2nd
> line, never reaching the 12:00 position. All my other Bimmers have
> always read right at 12:00 straight up. Soo, I have decided to replace
> the thermostat. Checked with the local parts store & he showed a
> 180 deg for the 325ic model & 191 deg. for the 325i(s) models. Why the
> difference? Could the previous owner have put in the "Cheaper" 325ic
> thermostat? What is the problems from Not running at 180 instead
> of 191?

	I hope that was a type-o and you were quoted 80C and 90C
thermostats, not 191 & 180C ones. Otherwise seek another parts supplier. The
cooler the temperature when thermostat opens fully, the sooner radiator will
be cooling all of the coolant. The purpose of a thermostat is to keep
coolant in a close loop, bypassing the radiator until the engine/coolant
heat up to the operating temperature. BMW dealers normally sell 80C
thermostats (at least for E30's). It would make sense to install a
thermostat with a _lower_ opening temperature IFF you live in a really hot
climate. I can't think of a reason to install a higher temp thermostat
(overheating is not fun).
	After buying two $20 80C thermostats from a local dealer (and
returning one) I would say that the temp ratings are vague at best. The
first one I got was rated 80C buy opened at 95C. The second rated at 80C
opened at 85C.