RE: 325 IC intermittent cut-out

> My recently purchased '88 325 IC has a intermittent cut-out
> problem. About once per hour, the engine will die. Tach drops
> to zero. About 5 seconds later, it springs back to life. Any
> ideas??? Fuel pump relay going south?

Not unless the car is stumbling badly (running out of gas) before engine
cuts out. If I read your description correctly it doesn't.

> ground somewhere?

Could be.
It sounds like the DME is intermittently cutting out fuel injectors
completely for some reason. Or the spark delivery is intermittent.
Check your coil/cap and rotor/spark plugs. If those check out, suspect
either an intermittent 12V to the DME, intermittent feed to DME that causes
it to kill fuel supply (AFM? etc) or bad DME.
I had an intermittent DME in my '89 325i a year+ ago that exhibited
identical symptoms before eventually leaving me stranded.

good luck,
alex f