Re: Buffing or color sanding

At 12:25 PM 10/2/99 -0400, Manuel wrote:
>I posted this a few days ago and nobody responded so I'll try one more time.
>  I have a black bimmer and I'm looking to get better results than glazing
>and waxing.  I was wondering if buffing or color sanding the car might do
>this.  Anyone have any experienes they could share with me?  Good or bad?
>Or should I just wait a bit and re-paint my baby??  She has quite a few
>stone chips on the hood, front end, and front fenders, but over all the
>paint is well maintained.  I use Meguairs products on her.  TIA!!

Manuel,

I don't think you want to color sand your car.  It's not something to
tackle if you've never done it before.  Buffing with a random orbital
buffer is pretty easy (other than elbow grease and time) but using a
regular type buffer runs the risk of rubbing through the paint and into the
primer if you've never done this before either.

Before you do any buffing, fill in the chips (some use model airplane glue,
some just build it up with paint) so the chipped area is higher than the
level of the surrounding paint.  Cut little circles of sandpaper (I use 220
grit) and glue them to the end of a pencil on the eraser.  Sand the chipped
area down until flush with the rest of the are (twisting the pencil between
your fingers making the sandpaper kind of like a mini-sander).  Expect to
spend a few days doing this part.  You have to build up the chipped area
and let the paint dry before any sanding.  Also make sure the chipped area
is really clean and there is no wax inside or they'll chip again really soon.

After doing this to all of the chips you want filled, then you can probably
polish the paint and wax it.  I've heard of people using that clay stuff
(I've never done it so I have no opinion) with good results.  The theory
behind it is pretty logical.  After doing the chip work, the
polishing/waxing should take the better part of a day.  Polish is a pain in
the ass to remove.  I usually buy those wax removing towels.  They help,
but are still tough.

This is what I've done and it really looks good when done.  I'm not sure if
it's worth all the hassle though.  Lot's of work.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii