<E28>84 533i Starting Problem

Mike.

Yup, got ideas.  First place to start is your cold start
injector system.  (named appropriately, don't you think?)

- - locate the two-wire sensor-looking thingie in your thermostat
  manifold.  This one has a brown connector.
- - With the coolant cold, use an ohmmeter and measure from each
  pin to the manifold (ground, if you will).
- - One side should read near enough 0 ohms to be grounded.
- - The other should read about 40 ohms.
- - If either is different, get another 'cold start switch'
  and swap it in.  Piece'o'cake.
- - If it measures OK, read on.  :(  (kinda)
- - With the ignition on and the connector to the cold start removed,
  use a voltmeter to find very near battery voltage on both leads.
- - One gets it's 12v from switched battery power, through a fuse
  (you've checked all those, right?  a good idea to replace all
  them at a time if you have not already), so that gives you one
  place to look if you have to go here.
- - The other gets it's 12v through the coil of the cold start
  injector coil, conveniently located (NOT!) on the very bottom
  of the intake manifold.  If no juice on this side, look for a
  bad (corroded?) connector, or no juice to the high side of the
  injector coil.  I have yet to see one open up, but little is
  impossible!  ;~)
- - The injector itself may have quit, but their more common
  mode of failure is to drip:  the opposite symptom.

If you would like such exotica as wire colors or the like, drop
me a note and I'll look them up.  Or, buy a Bentley - a great
investment.

Have fun!  Larry F.

>Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:54:51 -0500
>From: "Mike" <mikendee2@domain.elided>
>Subject: 84 533i, E28 Starting problem
>
>94 533i, 213,000 miles.
>
>Just in the last couple of days, when the engine is cold, it takes 3-5
>starts before it stays running.  It is not really cold outside yet, 50s in
>the morning.
>
>Starts, gags and chokes for a couple of seconds and dies.
>Repeat 2-4 times and if finally stays running, and runs beautifully.
>Restarts after she is warm is first time, just perfectly.
>But next morning, same procedure of starting and dying.
>
>Used to start first time every time until 2 days ago.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Larry Franks