1986 944 TURBO

Hello all of you 944-924-968 enthusiasts.
(Please go to the second paragraph if you don't want to read non tech i=
nfo.
Sorry for the long post, I want to be as clear as possible)

I've been a lurker for almost a year now, faithfully reading all the po=
sts
in hope that one day I might be able to buy the car of my dreams....a
Porsche, and that I would have enough information to make the right cho=
ice
and keep the cost of ownership low.  I have always loved Porsches.  Sin=
ce I
can recall, all I have asked for christmas  or my birthday, has been a
Porsche.  All I would receive was posters, match-boxs, scale models, bo=
oks,
everything except a real Porsche. (hey my family isn't rich but I still=
 put
it on my list just in case)  Of course, the 911 was the only "real" Por=
sche
in my book. Then, about 2 years ago, an acquaintance of mine, a porsche=

mechanic, drove a nice alpine-white 911.  One evening, I told him how m=
uch
automobile.  He told me that he was driving a 911 only because he didn'=
have a 944t on hand.  I was astonished... he likes that "VW" loved his =
911
and that he was lucky to drive such a wonderful MORE than a 911!!  It's=

faster, handles better, and cost less, NO WAY!? (oh ignorant me)  He mu=
st
be
breathing too much exhaust fumes.  But I listened to him, and he made
sense.
  I then searched the net for more info on the "Volkswagen" porsche and=
found this list. My dream could come true!  Me a 944 PORSCHE owner?!!  =
was
actively searching for a nice 951 but I live in the montr=E9al area and=
 there
weren't many nice 951 for sales and after about 9 months, I gave up and=

bought a 1999 Hyundai Elantra instead (I know, I know).  It uses as muc=
gas
as a 944, rattles, cracks, squeaks, has little power, no torque below 4=
000
rpm, and it depreciates faster than a porsche does 0-60.  But there is
light
at the end of this tunnel.....

It's a 1986 944 turbo.  Since all my money will go into buying the car,=
 It
must not break down for the next 2-3 months since cash flow is a little=

slow. Is this possible for a porsche?  Of course most people don't post=
just to say "everything is fine with my car, have a nice day", but they=

seem
a little fragile (trip odometer, sun-roof, battery and hatch leaks, wat=
er
pump, timing belt, over-heating, a-c leaks or fails, dash cracks, ect..=
.)
like my cars worry free,  that is why I usually buy new.  Am I in for
trouble?  The car has 70000 km (43000 miles), new belts, new water pump=
,
new
shocks, new brakes, new exhaust front to back.  Is this normal maintena=
nce?
It worries me because other cars that had more mileage didn't have as m=
any
repairs.  Is this car a lemon or is it just a good owner who has a lot =
of
money?  The dealer will exchange it at par for my new car which I paid
16500$cdn ($11000us).  It seems a little expensive but I am not satisfi=
ed
with my Hyundai and I want to trade.  I need some reassurance that I am=
 not
making the wrong decision again.  I've never driven a porsche so I don'=
know if all the hype is true.  does $11000 sound too much for a 1986 wi=
th
43000miles?  I know abs wasn't available, what else is not a standard o=
available option?   I know most info is on the option code sticker but =
the
car is 3 hours away so I want to know all I can before I go to take a l=
ook
and not seem like an ignorant fool (standard equipment for a 1986 turbo=

bought in canada).  I called for information on a 944s2 once and the ow=
ner
sayed I knew nothing about porsches and I was an idiot for asking if it=
 had
power windows and ABS brakes.  I don't want that to happen again.

I am still not sure about this car even after one year and about 35000 =
read
posts.  I need somebody to talk too about this car before I really take=
 the
plunge.  I also hope I will get more responses than I did 9 months ago =
when
I posted for some info, Only 1 response then   :-(   I'm on the bulleti=
board so please E-Mail me direct unless you believe the information can=
 be
useful for other members.

Sincerely,
Ryan