re: leak in trunk

I too have had a mysterious leaking trunk on the driver's side.  I replace
the left rear tail light gasket and radio antenna grommet and the leak
continued.  It seemed worse when the car was parked with the nose downhill.
 Well I happened to pull back the trunk weatherstripping one day and
noticed that a weld joint underneath the weatherstripping close to the left
rear corner of the rear windshield had rusted all the way through.  From
the comments on the digest, I suspect that this is a common problem in
E30s.  A little JB-Weld should do the trick.

Steve Ballard

1991 318is
1972 R50/5