Re:'91 318i

Hi all,
   I am posting the following for a couple of semi-web impaired friends
(library access only). They are living in Ely, NV (if anyone knows of a
competent BMW mechanic close ... that would be useful). The guy is
German so if anybody needs a translation of that weird stuf on your car
... let me know :-). He  translated several things on my MB for me.
    Anyway:

>The car is a '91 318i , it's a convertible.   ... it's red with ...
wide tires and extra chrome.  All that is amiss is a set of fuzzy dice.
But we'll find those yet.   From the looks and tire wear
pattern, the suspension has been lowered also.
The most obvious known bug is also frustratingly elusive:
intermittently, on
long drives, the engine starts stuttering, causing the car to jerk.
Initially, it seems that it is most pr'91 318ione to so doing when the
engine is not
under much stress, or even coasting.  Later on, when the symptoms
strengthen, it seems to make little difference how much work the engine
is
doing.  The idle also sometimes is unsteady, with the car revving quite
on
its own.  The two symptoms seem to happen more or less at the same time,
and
both seems to disappear sooner or later in city traffic.  Most of all,
the
car appears to be equipped with a mechanic sensor that forces it to
behave
when within two miles of any known competent car doctor.  So I expect
years
of entertainment.<

    If nothing else it's interesting how Germans deal with English
('Merican). I haven't gotten back info on the maintenance (filters,
cap/rotor, wires ... etc. as yet) prob needs all that stuf.
    The German is a geologist not a car person (he drives an old Volvo).
The 318 owner is a girl & not too car aware (tho she got a Bimmer ... ).

    Thanks for any help from youse.

                    later,
                            rick
                            '70 2002