RE: Buying E30 M3 ????

> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:25:05 EDT
> From: FJMARCH@domain.elided
> Subject: Buying E30 M3 ????
>=20
> ll soon be in the market for an 88-90 M3 and have some questions:
> - -what specific problems does this car have?
> - - the 88's have mileage  usually in the 100k range. What must be=20
> replaced/repaired around this time?
> - -are there any reading materials out there to help me?
>   Any information would be appreciated.
>=20
>                                  Thanks=20
>                                  Frank
> Ps    please respond with a direct e mail as well
>=20
The main thing I was warned about when I was looking for mine was the =
timing
chain.  Apparently they need changing at around 100k miles, and cost =
around
=A31500 to get done!  Luckily mine's been okay *touch wood* :)

In the two years I've owned it (and mine is a pretty high-mileage, not
immaculate condition example) the main expense I've had is a new =
exhaust
system, which is around =A31200 for the full system from BMW, or around =
=A3500
if you don't mind it being noisier for a stainless steel system...

One common problem rust-wise is the rear light units.  The seals perish =
and
if not replaced water leaks into the boot, which obviously isn't good =
:)
It's pretty cheap and easy to fix, but mine's going a bit rusty round =
the
light unit as a result.

But all this is completely outweighed, and forgiven every time I drive =
it,
specially along winding A-roads *grin*

HTH,

Adrian.