BRAKE LT CIRCUIT, and Engine Check

Isn't this always the way, you read about a problem someone is having.
But you haven't had it and don't really pay attention, then you get the
same problem.  The BRAKE LT CIRCUIT warning light and chime come on upon
applying the brakes, but not all the time.  Brake lights appear to work
properly.  Is this a switch problem, or a jiggy bulb?

Separate problem - Engine Check light comes on occasionally.  On one
occasion I did notice some slight missing in the engine.  I attempted to
collect the codes, but the push-to-the-floor-five-times method gives me
nothing, nada, zip.  Gee, it used to work.  Maybe my timing is off.
I'll try a few more times later today.  The manual says the throttle
switch is bad if this doesn't work.  Are there any other symptoms for a
bad throttle switch?  Could this be related to a brake switch problem?
Hum.

Thanks,
Dwayne Johnson
'91 525i, CCA, NCC