Re: Supersprint headers (E36), Smog legal?

Msimon21@domain.elided wrote:

>          So about a year and a half ago, i decided to get a new exhaust
>manifold for my '93 325is.  Living in California, where emissions standards
>are pretty darn strict, i made sure to ask whether these Supersprint headers
>were street legal.  The salesman then "reassured" me that they were, so i
>said, "what the heck, whats a thousand dollars?".  Its just money right?
>WRONG...WRONG...WRONG!!!!!  Not only was it $1000 for hp that i could barely
>feel, NOW, NO ONE WOULD EVEN TOUCH MY CAR FOR A SMOG CHECK.  Im confident my
>car will pass smog, but shops around here wont even touch it cuz of the
>visual inspection.  So  PLEASE...anyone with these headers that have had the
>same problem or know how to get around it...PLEASE, EMAIL ME :)
>P.S. If you're gonna reply to the list, please CC me as well.
>Much thanks
>michael

 You're right,  and the very first thing these smog technicians do is
the visual check and the exhaust manifold is one of the first things
they check.   They specifically look for headers and the lack of a
catalytic converter since this is the most common mod folks do.
Even if you car has a cat and passes the smog test with flying
colors,  the presence of the illegal component prevents them
from certifying you. The fines and penalties for "overlooking" your
header is big enough to put em out of business if they're caught.
They just simply won't risk it and it's getting really really hard
to find someone who'd do it.

 The only way that header would be smog-legal is if it's CARB approved,
and i don't believe SuperSprint has had it officially approved.  If it's not,
then the only option you have is to remove the offending header and return
the exhaust to stock from the head to the catalytic converter,  period.
Whatever you do don't show up at a State Smog Referee Station with
that illegal header on the car - they might just fine you a few thousand
dollars for "tampering" with the emissions equipment (the ex. manifold).
The independent stations won't usually call the authorities on you :-)
Hopefully you kept the original equipment,  that way you can swap it
back in and get your smog test,  then decide if it would be better to
just leave it stock from now on.  If you know of an enthusiast-friendly
smog station (where the hot-rodders or coffee-can cars go) who
would be willing to disregard the header then go talk to them
frankly about it.  As long as you still have the cat on the car it
should run as clean or cleaner than with the original manifold.

 If it does indeed have a CARB approval, it should have a plate welded to
it stating so and a certificate of compliance to show the smog technician.

 Never listen to any autoparts clerks when asking about anything legal;
they either don't know,  or are living in the past,  or will downright lie
to make a sale.  I'd go back to where you got it and confront them on
it.   You specifically asked them if it's smog-legal and indicated to them
that you will be using it on the street,  and it's against the law for them
to sell it to you for street use and apparently they did so.   Tell them if
they don't give you a full and complete refund,  you're going to report
them to the State for knowingly and willingly selling it to you for street
use and telling you it's smog-legal when you asked them about it.  The
business can be fined heavily for selling it to you.  I know of a VW parts
supplier who got caught for selling non-catalysed VW exhaust systems
and the fine was like $10,000.   I think they'll be willing to work with
you on the refund :-)  That guy screwed you good, i'd confront em.
You should have asked the list for input before buying a header too :-|

 Here's a useful website chock-full of information:

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/toc.htm

 Randy Walters
 So Calif/LAX area
 89 325is
 86 Jetta GLi
 85 Golf GTi (auto-x car, currently not smog legal, driven Sundays only)