<E36> M3 Battery Replacement

In BMW Digest v09.n1217 Steve Weinberg <weinberg@domain.elided>
wrote:

> I saw a thread for a short time on replacement batteries for the
> OEM.   Did anyone come up with a definitive fit to replace the
> Douglas variety that is lighter weight and still fits?  Price
> and availability suggestions?   Did anyone try the Optima battery?
> What model (they have a 750 and 800 series)?
> ... '95M3

I bought an Optima 800S for an '89 E34 535i, and it worked flawlessly
for five years.  It grew weak recently, and I replaced it with another.
I got one for a non-BMW as well.  I'd get one for my tii if it would
fit.

Interstate sells Optima batteries rebadged as the Interstate "Extreme
Performance" line and accompanied by a slightly different price and
warranty.  To find a dealer, look in the Yellow Pages or contact:

Optima Batteries, Inc
17500 E 22nd Avenue
Aurora, CO  80011
303 340-7440
www.optimabatteries.com

or:

Interstate Batteries
12770 Merit Drive
Dallas, TX  75251
972 991-1444
www.interstatebatteries.com

You will find battery weight and dimensions at both web sites.

For an automotive starting battery you want the one with the red top
and dark grey case (the 800).  Don't get a deep cycle (750 or 950,
yellow top) or marine (900 or 1000, blue top) battery.

The posts of these batteries might be reversed from what's in your
E36, and your cables may not reach.  Check that out before buying.

If you get a non-sealed battery, be *sure* it has a proper vent hose
fitting.

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, California