Re: 540a stalling problem

In a message dated 9/8/99 9:19:22 PM, owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

>   Hi, I'm posting this for my brother who currently owns a '97
>540iA.  As we were driving back from Vegas, the traffic was bumper to
>bumper.  Naturally, he slowed down. As he was about to stop, the car
>rattles and the RPM just dropped blow 500 making the car stall.  During
>that, he had the AC, radio and maybe some stuff on.  However, as he
>restarted the car and turned off everything imaginable, the car dies again
>in the same manner.

I have a 97 6-speed and had the same problem.  It occurred only for a few
days about three months after I bought the car new.  In my case, the engine
would die in traffic when I pushed in the clutch.  It happened only when the
A/C was off.  The up-tick in idle speed with the A/C on was enough to keep it
going.  I took it to the dealer soon after for routine maintenance &
mentioned the problem.  They told me they knew nothing about it, but it never
happened again.  I suspect there may have been a computer software update
that solved the problem (some time between May 97 & Dec 97).
Stan Wilson