E28 Hesitation Problem

BMW 528e 1986,

The car hesitate under load, it feels like if it's dragging a heavy load
behind, when depressing the gas peddle to floor the car still moves slowly,
it doesn't pick up fast. Somebody suggested to replace the air flow meter,
but didn't work, I tested the fuel pressure it seems to be good. it takes a
long time for the car to pick up speed. lacks a lot of power. the car used to
give me 27mpg, now it dropped down to  23 mpg. this hesitation problem is
driving me crazy no body seems to understand what's wrong !!!
the transmission tested and it's good. One thing I noticed when depressing
the gas peddle to floor the idle start jumping back and forth and the car or
the engine feels like it's not breathing or choking. The tune up changed
recently on the car. also the oxygen sensor, somebody told me it might be the
catalytic converter, I don't want to take the risk and buy one then it turn
out not the problem, like I did before with the Air Flow meter. Is there any
adjustments need to be done when replacing the air flow meter?,
is it a sensor problem?

Please send me solutions for this crazy problem.

Thank You
Moe.